Recommended NZ | Guide to Money | Gimme: Competitions - Giveaways

Members vote to strike but hope for improved DHB offer - NZNO

Fuseworks Media
Fuseworks Media

NZNO nurses, midwives and health care assistants employed by district health boards (DHBs) have voted in favour of a total withdrawal of labour starting at 0700 hours on Thursday 5 July 2018 and ending at 0700 hours on Friday 6 July 2018 and the same action again at 0700 hours on Thursday 12 July 2018 and ending at 0700 hours on Friday 13 July 2018.

The vote for industrial action has followed two employer offers being rejected by NZNO members. The online and postal ballot for industrial action, resulted in a high voter turnout and a vote in favour of strike action as notified to members by Chief Executive, Memo Musa this morning.

The Independent Panel set up by the government to assist the parties to resolve the impasse has presented a number of recommendations relating to safe staffing and pay. NZNO is pleased with a number of the recommendations but those that relate to pay increases fall short of NZNO’s submissions.

DHB MECA Independent Panel Recommendations:

Industrial Services Manager Cee Payne explains that on Monday 28 May NZNO will receive a revised offer to settle the DHB Multi Employer Collective Agreement from the DHB employers. This offer is likely to be voted on by members between the 5th and 15th June.

"The DHB offer is unknown at this time but it is not required to be consistent with the Panel recommendations. If members vote to reject any improved DHB offer the members’ next course of action would be industrial action," she said.

"Members decision on the DHB offer will determine whether NZNO will then provide at least 14 days’ notice of strike action to the DHBs."

NZNO chief executive Memo Musa reports that NZNO has had a first meeting with DHB representatives to begin preparation for the industrial action in the event members do not ratify the revised DHB offer:

"Full commitment to providing agreed life preserving services will be negotiated. Patient safety is paramount. We will be compliant with the Code of Good Faith for the public health sector.

"This is a very difficult decision for members and is not taken lightly," Memo Musa said.

All articles and comments on have been submitted by our community of users. Please notify us through our contact form if you believe an item on this site breaches our community guidelines.