Recommended NZ | Guide to Money | Gimme: Competitions - Giveaways

AUSA And V-Day Present The Vagina Monologues

Contributor:
Fuseworks Media
Fuseworks Media
AUSA And V-Day Present The Vagina Monologues

Auckland University Students' Association, in association with the 2010 V-Day Campaign, are proud to present a benefit production of Eve Ensler's The Vagina Monologues between April 22 and 24 at the Maidment Theatre.

The Vagina Monologues discuss femininity through a collection of stories and facts, told from a diverse perspective of ages and racial, regional, and sexual backgrounds.

The production will move beyond embarrassment, contempt, and unfamiliarity with what's 'down there', recognising the vagina as an integral part of the female identity. The New York Times described Ensler's use of the vagina as "a metaphor for female loss, passion and terror, but she also appreciates it for what it is -- a source of pleasure and pain, an object of hatred as well as desire".

Producers and Directors Anya Varezhkina and Colleen Olson are staging the production as part of the V-Day Campaign between February and May 2010. The campaign will raise money to end violence towards women and girls.

90% of profits from The Vagina Monologues will be returned to Rape Prevention Education, with the remaining 10% returned to Stop Raping Our Greatest Resource: Power To The Women And Girls Of The Democratic Republic of Congo, a campaign led since 2007 by V-Day and UNICEF.

Varezhkina and Olson feel The Vagina Monologues raise important issues for women and men. The event is particularly exciting for Auckland, as it is home to a vibrant theatre culture. The Vagina Monologues is a celebration of what makes women, women.

The Vagina Monologues is showing at the Maidment Theatre at 7.30pm on the 22nd, 23rd and 24th of April. Tickets are available from the Box Office, Maidment Theatre, 8 Alfred Street, Auckland, by phone at (09) 308 2383, or online at www.maidment.auckland.ac.nz

All articles and comments on Voxy.co.nz have been submitted by our community of users. Please notify us if you believe an item on this site breaches our community guidelines.