Recommended NZ | Guide to Money | Gimme: Competitions - Giveaways

The World Comes To Palmerston North

Contributor:
Fuseworks Media
Fuseworks Media
The World Comes To Palmerston North

6 AUGUST 2009 - The NZ International Film Festival rolls into town from today with one of the most eclectic and exciting line ups in years.

The Festival has recently wrapped in Auckland and Wellington with record attendance numbers. It kicks off in Palmerston North with opening film An Education and runs until 23 August with another Cannes highlight Broken Embraces as the official closing night film. Fashion hightlight Coco Avant Chanel and Japanese animation Ponyo also feature in the programme line-up after screening to sell-out crowds in Wellington and Auckland.

With a strong start to the Festival in Auckland and Wellington Festival Director Bill Gosden hopes that Palmerston North audiences will be equally enthusiastic about the film line-up.

"Palmerston North has a long history of supporting the cinema but recent years have seen Festival attendances fall. With the fantastic ongoing support from Downtown Cinemas as a venue we hope 2009 is the come back year," says Bill Gosden.

The Festival is a not-for-profit organisation with 90% of costs covered by ticket sales. The remaining 10% is comes from sponsorship. Tickets are available directly from Downtown Cinemas via phone and over the counter. This year Festival tickets can also be purchased online through Downtown Cinemas' new online booking system.

14 New Zealand cities and towns this year host the annual International Film Festival which for the first time will relinquish its various regional names to be called the New Zealand International Film Festival.

The Festival which has shown in Wellington and Auckland and is currently playing in Dunedin and Christchurch will travel around the country finishing in Whangarei in November. Until now each region has been promoted with the region's name despite sharing a common programme and artwork since 2002. The Festival has grown nationally since the merging in 1984 of the Auckland International Film Festival (founded in 1969) and the Wellington Film Festival (1972).

In 2009 the NZIFF will be held in Wellington, Auckland, Dunedin, Christchurch, Palmerston North, Napier, Tauranga, Hamilton, New Plymouth, Nelson, Greymouth, Masterton, Levin, Gisborne and Whangarei. The Festival is operated by the New Zealand Film Festival Trust, a charitable trust established in 1996.

All articles and comments on Voxy.co.nz have been submitted by our community of users. Please notify us if you believe an item on this site breaches our community guidelines.