Recommended NZ | Guide to Money | Gimme: Competitions - Giveaways

Test Results Following Fire At New Lynn's Planet Kids

Contributor:
Fuseworks Media
Fuseworks Media
Test Results Following Fire At New Lynn's Planet Kids

Test results from swab sampling of locations in the path of the smoke plume from last Saturday's fire at New Lynn's Planet Kids have returned negative. Health protection officers from the Auckland Regional Public Health Service conducted swab sampling in the following locations: New Lynn mall bus station (70m from Planet Kids) New Lynn Community Centre (45metres from Planet Kids) Krisley Court residences, directly adjacent to the fire.

We can reassure local residents that the samples have tested negative for the presence of asbestos, says Medical Officer of Health Dr Denise Barnfather.

"Planet Kids childcare centre was thought to have some asbestos-containing roof cladding."

"As expected, a sample of roof cladding did contain asbestos fibres," says Dr Barnfather.

Today, health protection officers from the Auckland Regional Public Health Service returned to New Lynn and re-checked locations near the fire-damaged areas.

Dr Barnfather says today's site visit confirmed no further evidence was found of contamination with roof cladding material.

This included a visual inspection of the New Lynn Kindergarten.

Householders in the vicinity are reminded of the safety tips for cleaning smoke residues from surfaces:

Public Health Advice Wear gloves Damp down horizontal surfaces with a hose Wipe internal windowsills with a damp cloth If carpet has been affected, wipe with a damp cloth - don't vacuum Dispose of cleaning cloths and pieces of roof cladding or other materials from the fire in a sealed plastic bag and then in another sealed plastic bag for disposal with other household waste Wash your hands and any dusty clothes well afterwards. Rewash any clothes that smell of smoke from being on an outside clothesline.

Dr Barnfather says while it is well-known that people who are exposed to asbestos fibres over a prolonged period of time can develop chronic respiratory illnesses, acute exposure that may result from an asbestos fire is most unlikely to cause any problems with health.

"Nevertheless, as a precaution, it is advisable to limit exposure wherever possible."

"In addition, research highlights that smokers should be aware that ongoing exposures to both cigarette smoke and asbestos, can lead to far worse outcomes for lung health than either tobacco smoke or asbestos fibres alone."

The public is encouraged to exercise common sense in reducing exposure to any fire debris, and to seek medical attention for any concerns about health.

All articles and comments on Voxy.co.nz have been submitted by our community of users. Please notify us if you believe an item on this site breaches our community guidelines.