Recommended NZ | Guide to Money | Gimme: Competitions - Giveaways

Couple Fined $12,000 For Illegal Additions To House

Contributor:
Fuseworks Media
Fuseworks Media

Auckland, April 2 NZPA - An Auckland council today said it was pleased with the $12,000 fine handed down to a couple who carried out extensive building work without getting building consent.

Property owners Macsood Hussain and Sudheshni Chetty pleaded guilty in Manukau District Court to offences under the Building Act.

Early last year, an inspection of the property at Christmas Rd, Manurewa, showed additions had started even though the couple had not applied to the council for consent.

The work involved excavating more than 200 cu m of earth and constructing a concrete block basement, concrete floor slab, timber retaining walls, timber decks and exterior stairs.

Council environmental operations group manager Carole Todd said the council was pleased with the outcome of the court case.

She said Judge Charles Blackie noted in passing sentence that the building works were significant and dangerous at the time of the council's inspection.

The judge also noted that Hussain was a qualified architect, but he did not obtain proper consents and the dwelling was at serious risk of collapse.

NZPA AKL rl kk nb

All articles and comments on Voxy.co.nz have been submitted by our community of users. Please notify us if you believe an item on this site breaches our community guidelines.