Recommended NZ | Guide to Money | Gimme: Competitions - Giveaways

Man Injured In Alleged Pre-Christmas Assault Out Of Coma

Contributor:
Fuseworks Media
Fuseworks Media

Tauranga, Jan 13 NZPA - A Tauranga teenager allegedly attacked outside a dance a few days before Christmas has only recently come out of a coma, a court was told today.

The 18-year-old, in a serious condition in Waikato Hospital since a beating on December 20, was "still not speaking", said police prosecutor Sergeant Sean Brennan.

He had been asked by Judge Christopher Harding why police had not provided disclosure to the lawyers representing three males charged over the incident.

Nicholas Dutch, who represents a 19 and a 21-year-old who are accused jointly with a 15-year-old in Tauranga Youth Court, said he was still waiting for facts from the prosecution.

Mr Dutch also told the judge he had only just received notification of fresh charges.

The trio initially faced joint counts of injuring with intent to injure, and assault.

Today the assault charges were dropped and replaced with the more serious count of wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm against all three accused.

"I am going to put this off for two weeks and the officer in charge had better scoot along and arrange disclosure as soon as possible," said Judge Harding.

He further remanded the youth and the two men on bail until January 27 for further disclosure and pleas.

A second 18-year-old victim suffered a broken nose in the alleged unprovoked attack outside a Christmas ballroom dancing event at the Bethlehem Hall in Tauranga.

The two friends had reportedly just stepped out for some fresh air during the Saturday night celebration.

NZPA WGT mac co nb

All articles and comments on Voxy.co.nz have been submitted by our community of users. Please notify us if you believe an item on this site breaches our community guidelines.