Recommended NZ | Guide to Money | Gimme: Competitions - Giveaways

More Charges Likely For Man Accused Of Tourist Attack

Contributor:
Fuseworks Media
Fuseworks Media

Wellington, Jan 18 NZPA - A 25-year-old man who appeared in court yesterday over an attack on Dutch tourists will face more serious charges when he next appears on Friday.

The man appeared in Invercargill District Court charged with rape. JP Fraser Clark granted him interim name suppression and he was remanded in custody.

Police said he could face further charges at his next court appearance.

The tourists, a 25-year-old man and a 22-year-old woman, were staying at the Tuatapere camping ground, west of Invercargill.

As they slept in their stationwagon about 6.40am on Thursday a man entered their car armed with a knife.

He raped the woman and stole a "large amount of cash", police said.

A second man whom police believe stood outside the vehicle during the attack had not yet been found. Today the Sunday Star Times reported the Dutch couple had been in touch with their families and the Dutch embassy, and were uncertain whether they would continue their New Zealand holiday. Invercargill Detective Scott MacKenzie said the pair were still in Southland, but were not yet ready to talk about their ordeal.

NZPA WGT mgr

All articles and comments on Voxy.co.nz have been submitted by our community of users. Please notify us if you believe an item on this site breaches our community guidelines.