Recommended NZ | Guide to Money | Gimme: Competitions - Giveaways

Optometrist "Shocked" At First Bain Trial Evidence

Fuseworks Media
Fuseworks Media
David Bain
David Bain

Christchurch, April 22 NZPA - Comments made at a dinner party led a Dunedin optometrist to tell Joe Karam about his concerns over his evidence given at the first murder trial of David Bain.

Gordon Sanderson said he was given a frame for glasses and two lenses by the police, and asked to match them to the prescriptions for the glasses for members of the Bain family.

He was giving evidence today in the High Court at Christchurch on the 29th day of the trial of David Cullen Bain on charges of murdering five members of his family at their home in June 1994.

Mr Sanderson said the frames were a normal male design and the prescription in the lenses were close to David Bain's prescription.

However, a week before the trial Detective Sergeant Milton Weir showed him a photograph of David Bain's mother Margaret wearing the same glasses and he realised they were hers.

He asked that his statement be changed, and was assured it would be by Mr Weir.

At the trial he partly read his statement, and realised the change hadn't been made. He answered questions and was waiting for the change to come up, but when it didn't he decided that the jury had been told of the change of evidence.

He did not know that the jury had asked who the glasses belonged to.

He said he was not clear on court procedure.

Mr Weir also asked him to find out if a glass lens would attract dust, as the lens found in bedroom of David Bain's brother Stephen was very dusty.

When he told him that they did attract dust, Mr Weir said he would just ignore the fact that when the lens was found it was covered in dust.

He was shocked and thought it was an unusual way to handle evidence, he said.

Mr Weir has denied these allegations.

Mr Sanderson said that David Bain would have been able to see very well with his mother's glasses as their prescriptions were similar, but they would have made Robin Bain's eyesight worse and would be no use to him.

He believed that the damage done to the frames of the glasses, and the lens falling out of the glasses would have happened at the same time.

He said the frames were now unwearable because of the damage done to them.

The trial has been told that the frame and one lens were found in David Bain's bedroom on the morning of the killings, but the other lens was found in the bedroom of 14-year-old Stephen Bain who had been killed after a struggle.

A friend of Laniet Bain, David's sister, told of their sister Arawa being responsible for the day-to-day running of the Bain household. But she also described Margaret being the dominating party in the family. She controlled the finances and gave her husband pocket money. She heard it was $20 a week.

She said Laniet did not see eye-to-eye with her mother and was not living up to her mother's expectations.

The witness, who was granted name suppression, said Laniet had been keen to move out to Taeri Mouth with her father Robin because she wanted to "clean up her act" -- her cannabis smoking had been out of control. She believed Robin Bain did not know she had been working as a prostitute.

Laniet told her she had given up the sex work to form a relationship with a man, and had been upset when they broke up.

She thought the Bain children got on well.

Denise Laney, a nurse who worked nearby, said she saw David Bain walking into his gate in Every Street on the morning of the killings. She normally saw him delivering papers at the bottom of the street and she glanced at her car's clock because she thought she must be late for work. The clock showed 6.50am, but a police check later confirmed it was five minutes fast.

NZPA WGT cla kk nb

All articles and comments on have been submitted by our community of users. Please notify us if you believe an item on this site breaches our community guidelines.