Oil Spill Response
- Maritime New Zealand's oil spill response team has placed the first boom, at Maketu, in anticipation of oil from the Rena reaching shore tomorrow.
- Sensitive sites have been checked today and plans updated for dealing with any oil that comes ashore.
- Extra teams will be available tomorrow to respond to any reports of fresh oil.
- The wildlife centre at Te Maunga has been recommissioned. No confirmed reports of oiled birds have been received since the Rena's stern section sank today.
- Wildlife patrols will be on the beaches tomorrow, including teams at Motiti Island and at Matakana.
- The volunteer oil spill response programme has been reactivated. People who have previously registered to help clean up beaches will be contacted to see whether they still wish to participate. New volunteers can register through the Bay of Plenty website: www.boprc.govt.nz/oilspillvolunteers
- Two community meetings will be held for Tauranga and Western Bay residents at Tauranga on Thursday, at 12pm and 6pm, both in the Tauranga Boys' College Auditorium.
Popular competitions and giveaways from Gimme.co.nz: NZ's People Powered Guide to Free Stuff. Links will open on Gimme.
Join Voxy on Google+.