The Northland Civil Defence Group Controller says there is no land-based risk of tsunami for Northland although there may be surges and currents at sea.
Because there is no land-based threat, the tsunami sirens have not been sounded.
Even so, people in coastal areas should still be sensible and:
1. Stay out of the water (sea, rivers and estuaries, including boating activities)
2. Stay off beaches and shore areas
3. Do not go sightseeing
4. Share this information with family, neighbours and friends
5. Listen to the radio and/or TV for updates
6. Follow instructions of local civil defence authorities
The Potential Threat advisory will remain in effect until:
It is upgraded to a Tsunami Warning, or a cancellation message is issued by MCDEM.
Popular competitions and giveaways from Gimme.co.nz: NZ's People Powered Guide to Free Stuff. Links will open on Gimme.
Join Voxy on Google+.