Consultation starts soon on the draft strategic plan for Selwyn’s halls and community centres to reflect the changing needs of the district’s communities.
As a result of district growth and changes in community expectations, as well as earthquake damage to a number of facilities, the Council has recognised the need to review the provision and management of its network of community centres and halls.
The draft strategic plan is mainly focussed on the 28 Council-owned facilities, but also considers other facility providers.
The draft plan suggests there’s a need to encourage greater use of these halls ‘to enrich community life and vitality through modernising the role of these important community facilities and what is delivered in them, and in some cases their governance and management’.
Consultants have prepared the draft plan after initial workshops and information-gathering.
Key findings include:
- The network of SDC facilities operate at 44% of capacity but their use varies from below 10% to fully utilised.
- Population growth is increasing demand on parts of the SDC halls network while most of the network has stable or declining demand.
- The level of use is connected to the quality of the facility.
- There is a need for upgrading work on those community centres and halls that provide good amenity value to the community and are economically sustainable.
- There is a need to revamp how facilities are governed with newer more modern models of governance and partnership where expertise is valued over representation.
- There are opportunities for increased revenues and investment in community centres and halls via grants, pay-to-play options and other business activity.
- There is a need to develop facility clusters to share resources and knowledge and improve services to communities
Next steps The draft Strategic Plan has been considered by Council and will now be the focus of workshops with management committees of community centres and halls, owners of other halls in the district and the wider community. At the end of this process feedback will be considered by the Project Group/Council before finalising the Strategic Plan.
Copies of the draft Community Centres and Halls Strategic Plan and submission forms are available on the Council website, www.selwyn.govt.nz or you can browse a copy at the Selwyn District Council offices in Rolleston, or any Council Library/Service Centre.
Popular competitions and giveaways from Gimme.co.nz: NZ's People Powered Guide to Free Stuff. Links will open on Gimme.
Join Voxy on Google+.