Recommended NZ | Guide to Money | Gimme: Competitions - Giveaways

Another century at National U19s

Fuseworks Media
Fuseworks Media

Day two of the 2018/19 NZC Under 19 National Championships in Lincoln has seen defending champions Wellington U19 take the points table lead as the only remaining undefeated side, while a century to Conor Ansell set up a big win for rivals Auckland.


Auckland U19 beat ND U19 by 148 runs

The biggest victory of Day Two belonged to Auckland U19 who bounced back from yesterday's last-ball defeat with a comfortable victory over neighbours Northern Districts.

A century to Conor Ansell (109 off 123) set up a strong total for Auckland after they won the toss and batted on Lincoln No.3, the first drop having put on a 104-run second wicket stand with Quinn Sunde (40) after Sunde had lost his opening partner to a diamond duck.

After Sunde was caught and bowled in the 20th over, Jock McKenzie (68) stepped in to form another strong stand, putting on 99 with Ansell for the third wicket before Ansell was finally bowled by Katene Clark in the 39th over.

At 203 for three, Auckland had a tremendous platform to attack and ND did well to hold them to 261 for six, using nine bowlers in the process.

In response, however, ND couldn't come up with the big partnerships to match Auckland's efforts and make a chase of it. Captain and number four Thorn Parkes again contributed with a knock of 41, but aside from 33 from opener Jake Russ (a patient 33 off 70 balls) no one else could get going against the well drilled Aucklanders who zoomed through the last six wickets for a cost of only 32 runs.

Auckland's first win took them to four points, equal with CD in the middle of the table.

Otago U19 beat Canterbury U19 by two wickets

In a match reduced to 49 overs per side, Otago U19 was in for another tight finish as Canterbury U19 looked to rebound from their opening day loss to CD.

Canterbury won the toss and got off to a solid start on Bert Sutcliffe Oval, Rangiora's Rhys Mariu scoring a half century at the top and building a 93-run stand for the second wicket with Ben Hartland.

Hartland top-scored for the home side with 63, but he struggled for support after the loss of Mariu in the 23rd over and Canterbury's innings ended at a middling 219 for eight.

Despite an early breakthrough from Richard Turpie, Otago got established with first-drop Hunter Kindley reaching 69. Canterbury chipped away at the other end but after having taken a three-fa in the first innings, Beckham Wheeler-Greenall continued his good all-round day with an innings of 43 that took his side through to 156 for five in the 39th.

Otago Volt Ben Lockrose then took up the task with a quick 31 to all but get his side home, Charlie Holt bashing an unbeaten 17- off nine to make sure of a two-wicket win secured on the last ball of the chase, after yesterday's Round One tie. The win elevated Otago to second on the table, two points behind leaders and defending champions Wellington.

Wellington U19 beat CD U19 by five wickets

After his unbeaten century the day before, Thomas Zohrab’s strong form with the bat continued as he backed up with a top score of 73 for CD U19 against defending champs Wellington U19.

Wellington captain Nick Greenwood was asked to field first on Lincoln Green, but had an immediate breakthrough with Jono Tuffin bowling Zohrab’s twin brother David first over.

Tuffin had CD captain Kurtis Weeks caught shortly after to have CD 2-8, Thomas Zohrab carrying on to steady things with a 57-run stand for the third wicket with Akash Gill (28).

Wellington kept the pressure on with more wickets, however, CD five down for 124 but with Zohrab still there in the 34th over. He would march on to the 39th before he was finally caught off Greenwood. With a run-a-ball finish from the tail, CD would add a further 87 runs to post a reasonable total of 234 for nine, Taranaki’s Frewin brothers left unbeaten.

They started brilliantly with the ball, however, to put some early pressure on the Wellingtonians, Ben Frewin sitting on figures of 2-5 inside the first five overs.

Wellington fought back strongly, captain Greenwood (59) and first drop Gareth Severin (79) putting on a third-wicket stand of 133 to get their side back in control.

They would both fall shortly after the 30-over mark before Caleb Frewin picked up Jesse Tashkoff for just 16, the capital lads 173 for five in the 40th.

With two overs to go, however, they would need just a further nine runs and had maintained their run rate at a good clip. A six from Tim Robinson had just eased the pressure, before Tim Campbell peeled the nine required runs off the next four balls for a five-wicket win with 1.2 overs to spare to take them to a two-point lead at the top of the table as the only remaining undefeated team.

All articles and comments on have been submitted by our community of users. Please notify us through our contact form if you believe an item on this site breaches our community guidelines.