Recommended NZ | Guide to Money | Gimme: Competitions - Giveaways

No Place For Jones And Rickert At The Breakers

Contributor:
Fuseworks Media
Fuseworks Media
No Place For Jones And Rickert At The Breakers

Wellington, June 12 NZPA - The Breakers have dropped former Tall Black Phill Jones and import Rick Rickert from the Australian National Basketball League beginning in September.

Jones was cut to allow young Auckland player Tom Abercrombie to develop while Rickert was released to make room for a big name signing from across the Tasman, coach Andrej Lemanis said.

Breakers general manager Richard Clarke said today the side included five New Zealanders and three Australians, plus two promising young Kiwis to fill the development spots.

Kirk Penney, Dillon Boucher and Paul Henare will be joined by young talents, Abercrombie 22, Corey Webster, 20, and two new additions, Alex Pledger, 22 and Jeremiah Trueman, 20. Webster and Pledger are the development players.

Staying on for another season are Australians Tony Ronaldson, CJ Bruton and Oscar Forman who all played integral roles in guiding the club to the semifinal playoffs last season.

The final two positions will be filled by imports, Clarke added.

"We are very close to finalising one of those players, someone that has great experience in this league and numerous team and individual honours to his name.

"We hope to make an announcement in the next week to 10 days.

"The final position will be left open until after NBA summer camps when we will have a better idea of who we can recruit to best suit our needs and our budget," Clarke added.

The coaching staff returns intact from last year with head coach Andrej Lemanis assisted by Dean Vickerman and Judd Flavell.

 

All articles and comments on Voxy.co.nz have been submitted by our community of users. Please notify us if you believe an item on this site breaches our community guidelines.